À toutes les fashonistas, les shopaholics, ce site est spécialement conçu pour NOUS! Enjoy ; )

jeudi 11 septembre 2008

Style Winners & Losers - September 8th, 2008

Style Winners & Losers - September 8th, 2008
Melissa Morra and Christopher Turner


Rihanna


Melissa: Rihanna is stunning, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, she doesn’t always play up her assets on the red carpet. I have seen her look great a handful of times and this is definitely one of them. I think she looked gorgeous at the Conde Nast Fifth Annual Fashion Rocks event at Radio City Music Hall last week in this black Monique Lhuillier gown. It’s not an easy look to pull off. The middle bubble layer could have spelled disaster but I was pleasantly surprised to see her rock this sophisticated look so well.
Her Verdict: Style Winner

Christopher: To be honest, I am never really a fan of Rihanna on the red carpet. She’s usually decked out in every mismatched trend and looking ultra tacky. But at Friday night’s Fashion Rocks benefit in NYC she wowed in this stunning strapless black gown. The train of the gown and the layered details through the middle are truly beautiful and everything is pulled together with that magnificent jeweled belt. We are definitely not used to seeing Rihanna walk the red carpet in Monique Lhuillier but it is a welcome change.
His Verdict: Style Winner
(credit: Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images)






Christina Aguilera


Christopher: Now that Christina is post-baby and returning to every celeb filled event possible she is ready to reclaim her title as reigning drag queen of the red carpet. Check out the new bangy ultra-blonde hairdo she was showing off on the MTV Video Music Awards' red carpet Sunday night. Check out that bling gown. Totally camp. No one pulls off Las Vegas showgirl like Christina Aguilera in this black and beige sequined cleavage-baring gown.
His Verdict: Style Loser

Melissa: I definitely see the drag queen-esque quality you speak of Christopher, but I think that this beautiful lace and beaded Roberto Cavalli gown was the perfect choice for Christina. While the hair colour is a little harsh the style suits her. And I could do without the vampy eye make-up but at least she toned down her signature in-your-face red lips. Overall, the former Dirty girl has been looking pretty good post-baby.
Her Verdict: Winner
(credit: Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)




Lily Allen


Melissa: Wow! Christopher, Lily Allen sure has come a long way from her decapitated Bambi dress and neon pink hair a few months ago. Too bad she hasn’t quite learned how to manage her alcohol intake and foul mouth. Although she didn’t behave like a class act at the GQ Men of the Year Awards last week, I think she looked fabulous in this over-the-top Dolce & Gabbana gown.
Her Verdict: Style Winner

Christopher: Yes, Lily Allen is almost always a mess. Yes, everyone’s been talking and blogging about her drunken rants with Elton John on stage at the GQ Men of the Year Awards last week in London. But not a lot of people are talking about the fierce floor-sweeping D&G chiffon ball gown she wore on the red carpet for the event. It’s big and flamboyant and it’s totally gorgeous. I absolutely love it!
His Verdict: Style Winner
(credit: Jon Furniss/WireImage)




Solange Knowles


Melissa: I think the look on Solange Knowles face says it all. She must have caught a glimpse of her reflection in a shiny parked limo and thought to herself, “WTF am I wearing?” At first glance I thought Solange was about to be the victim of a vicious animal attack. But then I realized that she is just a victim of horrible fashion sense.
Her Verdict: Style Loser

Christopher: What in God’s name is this? I know it’s Armani but I don’t even know what to say. All I can tell you is that this mess of a frock is grey. It could possibly be a dead animal wrapped in Christmas tree lights. There is so much going on here. The one thing you can say about Solange’s fashion taste is she is consistent...consistently horrid.
His Verdict: Style Loser
(credit: Michael Loccisano/FilmMagic)




Anne Hathaway


Melissa: I know you love these over-the-top dramatic gowns Christopher and I must admit, I have found a whole new appreciation for them since I started writing Style Winners & Losers with you. So thanks for that! I don't know if, a year ago, I would have loved the gorgeous Atelier Versace gown that Anne Hathaway wore to the premiere of Rachel Getting Married but I’m definitely in love with it today. Check out the gorgeous hues under the gown. The detail is phenomenal. My favourite this week by far.
Her Verdict: Style Winner

Christopher: Now, this is some serious red carpet fashion! What can I say? I love, love, love this over-the-top Atelier Versace gown! The dress is so overwhelming I wouldn’t think that little Anne Hathaway could pull it off. But when the young actress walked the red carpet in Venice wearing the couture creation, she did it with style and grace. This soft purple and grey strapless gown is beautiful and that ruffled hemline and train is truly exquisite. This is hands down my fave dress of the week. Consensus!
His Verdict: Style Winner
(credit: Daniele Venturelli/WireImage)




Pink


Christopher: Oh Pink! The striped Alexis Lamontagna gown you wore on the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet is a true mess. What can I say about this, people? I mean, this strapless gown is basically a circus tent. And that silver Grandma hair she’s sporting isn’t winning her any points in my books.
His Verdict: Style Loser

Melissa: If a jailhouse had a formal event I imagine all of the "ladies" would be wearing this. While the Big Top Circus dress somewhat suited Pink (as sad as that is) she definitely destroyed any potential it had with that granny blue ‘do.
Her Verdict: Style Loser
(credit: Frank Micelotta/Getty Images for MTV)



Britney Spears


Christopher: The return of Britney the Good continued Sunday night when our beloved Brit Brit opened the 25th annual MTV Video Music Awards with a welcome and a Happy Birthday shout out to the music station that helped make her a star. Just a year after that disastrous performance the pop star strutted on stage in a short and shimmering Atelier Versace dress. She looks gorgeous!
His Verdict: Style Winner

Melissa: I have to admit, I’m so happy to see Britney making a comeback. I’m not a huge fan of her music or anything but there was a point in time when it looked like she was going to become another tragic childhood star statistic. Not only did she take home three awards at the MTV Video Music Awards last week, she also looked pretty freakin’ amazing doing it. Toned, healthy and happy and in an Atelier Versace dress and killer strappy heels, Britney surprised everyone this year...in a great way.
Her Verdict: Style Winner
(credit: Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic)



Katy Perry


Christopher: I love the shoes, hair, the makeup…Hell, I even love the pin-up girl style outfit/swimsuit Katy Perry courageously wore down the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet on Sunday night. You've gotta give her props. I mean, how many gals would have the guts to go full Wonder Woman style on the red carpet? P.S. Love the super camp red, white and blue sparkle purse!
His Verdict: Style Winner

Melissa: I must admit that I love how Katy Perry doesn’t give a damn what anyone thinks of her. She has a style all her own and she isn’t afraid to flaunt it. It doesn’t mean I have to like it though. I’ll give her props for her sass and confidence but I can’t say she looks good in this getup. Besides the fact that she is wearing spanky shorts and a starred bustier, she has on way too much foundation, making her face look like a wax figure. Sorry, besides her signature radiant smile (she is a cutie) I'm not digging anything about this look.
Her Verdict: Style Loser
(credit: Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage)


)


Ciara


Melissa: It’s safe to say that Ciara wowed onlookers at Conde Nast’s 5th annual Fashion Rocks event this year in this attention-grabbing black and white beaded gown. I know she caught my eye amongst the dozens of celebrity photos we went through this week. While the black and white lines may be dizzying to some, the beaded detail and fit of this gown is extraordinary and I love it.
Her Verdict: Style Winner

Christopher: This dress is total Elie Saab and you know what Melissa, we haven’t seen nearly enough of Saab’s trademark sexy style on the red carpet this year. For the Fashion Rocks benefit last week Ciara dropped her former hip hop/tomboy style and earned some serious fashion points wearing this gorgeous body hugging Elie Saab gown. I am totally diggin’ the blunt bangs on her too!
His Verdict: Style Winner
(credit: Kevin Mazur/WireImage)



Justin Timberlake

Christopher: Hmmm… I wouldn’t really classify this ensemble as “bringing sexy back,” would you Melissa? Our boy J.T. certainly wasn’t rockin’ his usual stylin' threads on the Fashion Rocks red carpet the other night. The super cuffed jeans are a little 90s for me and the boy isn’t following the golden fashion rule that your tie should just touch the top of your belt…unless he has a belt wrapped around his chest under that mess of a jacket.
His Verdict: Style Loser

Melissa: Nope, this fashion definitely doesn’t rock. J.T. superfans may think this goofy look is perfect for the star but I have to agree with you, Christopher. The jean cuffs are so last decade, the jacket is ug and the ridiculously short tie is just plain wrong.…I’d like to turn the page now if you don’t mind.
Her Verdict: Style Loser
(credit: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage)



Eva Mendes


Christopher: Eva Mendes was totally channeling some serious Old Hollywood style when she walked the red carpet last week for the premiere of The Women. Melissa, check her out in this on-trend black and white printed Bill Blass dress. This body hugging number definitely makes up for last week’s fashion mishap. Now, I am sure a lot of people aren’t going to love this look on Mendes or her super-coif hairdo but I think she pulls it off looking incredibly sophisticated.
His Verdict: Style Winner

Melissa: I know what you mean about the hair Christopher. It was the first thing I noticed. It's a little reminiscent of the Bride of Frankenstein (sans the grey stripe). But I must agree that, besides the beehive hair, Eva looked very pretty in this black and white Bill Blass cocktail dress. She polished off the look with some Cartier jewels, a Jimmy Choo clutch and DSquared heels.
Her Verdict: Style Winner
(credit: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage)



Tyra Banks


Melissa: I must admit, I’m not usually a fan of Tyra Banks on the red carpet. She is usually way too over-the-top for me. But recently she has been turning it down a notch. While I'm not a big fan of the bat-wing sleeves and her facial expression is a little Cruella De Vil, I think Tyra looked alright at the Fashion Rocks Benefit last week in this burnt red wrap dress. The somewhat frightening look oddly works for her somehow.
Her Verdict: Style Winner

Christopher: I love when Tyra walks the red carpet! I mean there is no middle ground with this woman! She either looks like a total drag Queen or a Barbie doll. But, no matter how much flack she gets, she always manages to look like she’s having a good time and not taking herself too seriously. What really works for the former supermodel in this red carpet appearance is the colour of this wrap dress. It is absolutely perfect on her. The gown, even though it is a little reminiscent of the Dynasty days, actually suits her. So, because I would never want her to change…I am * gasp * going to award her a Style Winner! Shocked? Yup, so am I!
His Verdict: Style Winner
(credit: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage)





Aucun commentaire: